Monday, January 14, 2008

Top ten refusals on the job

I hear some interesting things when I'm running around the city taking pictures of humans, birds, etc. Numbered among those are reasons why people don't want me to take their photograph. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it's laughable, sometimes people run away. Here are the top ten rejections I've received to my question, "Could I take your picture?":

10. Your camera looks expensive. I don't want to break it. Maybe I could take your picture, instead?

9. What kind of camera is that? I have a _____________ camera, myself.
[This one normally leads into ye olde half-hour camera geek-out]

8. No, you can't take my picture, but my friend/spouse/coworker, here, they'd LOVE to have their picture taken.

7. [astonished] Why would you want to?

6. Sorry! I'm in a hurry . . .
[Usually followed by reasons the person is in a hurry]

5. No. I don't want my picture plastered all over the Internet/your Facebook/Myspace/Flickr account.

4. You'd have to clear it with my agent.
[or]
What's the commission? I don't work for free . . .

3. Sorry, I'm too drunk to have my picture taken.

2. [When talking about shooting freelance] So you're like the Peter Parker of Fredericton?

1. Are you married?

No comments: